Au de frente is another variation of au that moves forwards instead of side to side.
Doing a cartwheel forwards differs from normal cartwheels in that your hips need to face the direction you move in. In a forwards cartwheel, the hips face the direction you will move in. This change in starting position, make the landing a bit trickers. Most people having difficulty with their landing due to poor hip-flexor and thoracic extension. The more you are able to work on flexibility in these areas, the easier the landing will be.
Step by step guide
- This move ties in very well with many of the circular kicks.
- Combining au de frente after a kick like armada, meia lua de frente, queixada, or meia lua de compasso is common.
- This is a great combination that can be used in many middle and fast paced games.
- One difficulty people have when doing this au is not being able to land without falling on their butt.
- Most of the time, the reason this happens is that you’re not able to keep the landing leg straight and extend the hips up sufficiently.
- When people are scared, they tend to drop their hips, crumpling up their bodies.
- This is a response that you have to fight when doing this movement. It is recommended to try au de frente on a downhill. Using the downhill allows you to drop your hips slightly and still completely the movement.