This ancient breathing and meditation technique aids in clearing your mind and helps you to stay focused, which is one of the most important aspects of capoeira.
This purified method of breathing involves breathing through one's nostrils alternatively, which clears the partial or fully blocked channels through which the air passes and enhances energy and positiveness. Since this goes hand in hand with the other yogic Asanas, their union is considered the topmost form of self-discipline and purification.
Step by step guide
Sit in a comfortable position.
- ry sitting in an easy cross-legged position with your spine long and shoulders rolled down and back from your ears.
Inhale slowly through your nose.
- Seal your lips to ensure all the air is channeling through your nostrils.
- Make this inhale slightly deeper and more intentional that your regular breathing, fully filling your lungs
- Keeping your lips sealed, breathe out through your nose.
- Try to constrict the muscles in the back of your throat, just as you would if you were whispering.
- However, be careful not to overly constrict your throat to the extent that breathing becomes difficult.
- Once you become more experienced, you can gradually increase your practice to 10-15 minutes.
- Always remember to stop and resume normal breathing if you become dizzy or short of breath.