The martelo, which literally means 'hammer'.
It is generally defined as a strike with the instep, or lower part of the shin against the opponent's body; the most common target is temple of the head.
Step by step guide
- It requires good stretching of the legs and a fair sense of balance.
- Looks very simple yet it needs constant training.
- Lift your knee as it is seen in the Bênção movement.
- Turn for about 90-180 degrees on your foot ball; keep your kicking leg's knee at roughly the same position.
- Remember to turn your hips as well.
- Lean back a little to keep balance.
- If done right, your hips should be aligned parallel with your kicking leg.
- Your thigh should point straightly at your target (shoulder/head area).
- Contrary to the other kicks, you now have to snap quickly with your lower leg.
- Hit with the instep.
- To prevent spinning away from your opponent move your arms in the opposite direction.